Boy, 11, blinded by stray rocket at public firework display
Tyler and Nicola on holiday before the accident happened (Picture: SWNS)

A mum is furious after her 11-year-old son was blinded by a rocket at a public firework display.

Tyler Norris-Sayers is facing months of reconstructive and stem cell surgery on the NHS following a horror accident when he was hit by a stray missile at the display in Burnley.

But the coordinators of the event at Rosegrove Railway Club did not have the insurance – so there is no compensation to pay for treatment.

It means accounts manager mum Nicola, 39, has had to fund expensive trips to London for treatment by herself.

Boy, 11, blinded by stray rocket at public firework display
Tyler a month after the accident. (Picture SWNS)
Boy, 11, blinded by stray rocket at public firework display
In Manchester burns unit a few days after the accident (Picture: SWNS)
Boy, 11, blinded by stray rocket at public firework display
Tyler achieving his red belt in jujitsu despite his injuries. (Picture: SWNS)
Boy, 11, blinded by stray rocket at public firework display
Tyler after the accident (Picture: SWNS)

Nicola said: ‘How am I going to manage more? My solicitors are currently looking into it and are going to advise me on other options.’

Tyler suffered horrendous burns to his right eye after the firework exploded in his face when it tipped over during an organised display and flew into the spectating crowds.

Burnley CID launched an investigation but referred the incident to Lancashire County Council, Health and Safety Executive and Trading Standards.

A woman, aged 60, and an eight-year-old girl were also injured during the display.

The club signed a caution which admitted liability, and instead of being taken to a criminal court they will be dealt with in a civil hearing.

Boy, 11, blinded by stray rocket at public firework display
Tyler after first membrane surgery. (Picture: SWNS)
Boy, 11, blinded by stray rocket at public firework display
Tyler 2 months after the accident. (Picture: SWNS)
Boy, 11, blinded by stray rocket at public firework display
Tyler now (Picture: SWNS)
Boy, 11, blinded by stray rocket at public firework display
Tyler after the accident. (Picture: SWNS)

Nicola has been told her son may never see out of his right eye again and has been forced to don an eye-patch before he starts at Burnley High School next week.

Britain’s top eye doctors have vowed to save Tyler’s sight for free on the NHS – but it could take ‘several years’.

READ ALSO:  The President’s Vision

The youngster will now have his eye stitched open to repair scar tissue following his first consultation at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead, West Sussex.

Nicola said: ‘Tyler is taking it all in his stride. The doctors explained everything to him to so well that he knows what to expect.

‘They haven’t made any promises to us but they are going to do all they can to restore his sight but we know it is going to take a long time.’

The Rosegrove Railway Club has been approached for comment.

source : metro uk